Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Jogjakarta

Jogjakarta is a small province in Indonesia. It is located in central of Java Island. It takes about four hours traveling by plane from my place Gorontalo to Jogjakarta. Despite Jogjakarta is a province, not like other provinces those are ruled by governor, it is governed by the King who is called Sultan. The Sultan acts as the governor of Jogjakarta but he can not be elected and replaced by other people except his descendant. Indonesian government gives a special autonomous region to Jogjakarta.

I have been in Jogjakarta for two weeks. It is known as a center of classical Javanese fine art and culture such as batik, drama, music, poetry and puppet shows.

I also visited some of famous temples of 9th and 10th century called as Prambanan and Borobudur. These ancient temples are stated as the world heritage site by UNESCO. I just could not stop wondering how the people in that ancient time made those glorious temples with the exotic stone reliefs on its entire wall

In spite of its very traditional region, Jogjakarta is also called as a ‘student city’. There are about 140 colleges and universities in that small city. About twenty percent of its population is students.

Two weeks vacation is not enough for me to explore Jogjakarta. I have always wanted to be in Sultan’s Palace which is called Keraton, where I can see traditional dances and puppet shows. I hope someday I can visit that city again.

1 comment: